radio boise playlist for week of 11/06/06

When I assembled this particular hodge-podge of a show I thought I'd succumb even more fully to my whims than usual by including a lengthy piece by the great British singer/comedian Anna Russell.

Today, as I was putting finishing touches on this blog entry for the show I discovered that the incomparable Ms. Russell has just recently passed away at the age of 94 in Australia, where she'd been living since her retirement a mere three years ago.

Some folks could perhaps argue that as her best years of performing were well behind her, there's not much sense in crying now over her departure.
(I've weathered similar arguments regarding the deaths of other musicians, actors, etc, who hadn't contributed any new material in decades.)

Nevertheless, my feeling is that Anna Russell was one of the coolest treasures of the 20th century, and the world that now remains for the rest of us is just a little more diminished by her passing from this plane. Cheers, Anna.

Please investigate her work if you're unfamiliar. I hope you enjoyed the rest of this week's show as well.

Any questions, comments or hellos - - please feel free to click on that 'email me' link over to the right side of the page.
Thanks!




TITLE / ARTIST / ALBUM (or source)


Highway To Hell / Dictionaraoke / The Singing Dictionary

South Virginia / Busters All Stars / Ska Boogie - Jamaican R&B, The Dawn Of Ska

Streets Of Gold / The Skatalites / Ska Bonanza

Seven Steps To Power / Blue Rivers & The Maroons / The Blue Beat,Ska & Reggae Revolution Vol.2

Sudden Destruction / Johnny "Dizzy" Moore / Trojan Ska Box Set

Theme from Ali and His Gang vs. Mr. Tooth Decay / Muhammad Ali / Oxford American 2006 Sampler

The Black Super Man / Duangdao Mondara & Chailai / Thai Beat A Go-Go Vol. 3

In/Out / Stereo Total / My Melody

China My China / Doug Hilsinger With Caroleen Beatty / Brian Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

Justify / BBQ / Tie Your Noose

Junk / T-Model Ford / She Ain't None Of Your'n

I Got Loaded (1965) / Little Bob & The Lollipops / I Got Loaded

The Town / Los Lobos / The Town And The City

Blue, All The Way To Canada / Moe Tucker / I Spent a Week There the Other Night

Crush On You / Teenage Fanclub & Jad Fair / Words Of Wisdom And Hope

Narrow Road / 15.60.75 (The Numbers Band) / Jimmy Bell's Still In Town

Heavy Metal / Clap Your Hands Say Yeah / Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Rats / Tuff Darts / Tuff Darts

My Big Fame / Sensations / Listen To My Shapes

Friend of a Friend of the Working Class / The Upper Crust / Let Them Eat Rock

What You Want / Kris Kringle / Sodom (1971)

Mr. Loco / Mr. Loco / Lucky man

Xp31 / Mark Mothersbaugh / Musik For Insomniaks

How to Write Your Own Gilbert and Sullivan Opera / Anna Russell (John Coveart, piano) / The Anna Russell Album

Souvenir de Porto Rico / Amiram Rigai / Oxford American 2006 Sampler

'tis Autumn / Esther Phillips / The Best Of Esther Phillips (1962-1970)

When I Get Low I Get High / Chick Webb / Stomping At The Savoy

Doggin' Around / Count Basie / SwingStation

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles / Georgie Barnes Quartet / Lost Chords - "White Musicians And Their Contribution To Jazz"